With 46 casualties in 24 hours, the latest figures mark the highest number of deaths due to coronavirus in one day in India.
The novel coronavirus disease, termed Covid-19 by the WHO, has emerged as one of the gravest threats of this century to people around the world. It has infected over 1.6 million and caused the deaths of over 95,000 people, globally, according to the John Hopkins University Tracker.
India, too, is struggling to contain the spread of the new coronavirus. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had on March 24 declared a 21-day lockdown across the country. However, cases and deaths continue to rise in the country.
Here are the latest updates on the coronavirus epidemic in India:
– The number of total coronavirus cases in the India currently stand at 6,412, according to Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on April 10, Friday.
– The number of deaths has risen to 199.
– Among the total coronavirus cases in the country, there are 5,709 active cases. A total of 503 people have successfully recovered from Covid-19.
– To put the figures in perspective, April 9 has become India’s worst day, having reported a jump of 809 cases; the highest rise of infections in a day.
– With 46 casualties in 24 hours, the latest figures also mark the highest number of deaths due to coronavirus in one day in India.
– The Northeast today witnessed its first death after a 65-year-old man died due to coronavirus in the Hailakandi District of Assam, confirmed Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma.
– A 65-year-old woman died due to coronavirus in Rajasthan today, an official confirmed. A 78-yr-old woman from Mohali in Punjab, who had died on April 7, was confirmed today as having been infected with Covid-19.
– Two more patients, including an elderly man, succumbed to COVID-19 in Gujarat, taking the toll in the state to 19, said officials on Friday.
– Fourteen more persons, including two women doctors, tested positive for coronavirus in Bhopal
today, taking the number of COVID-19 patients in the state capital to 112 and overall tally in Madhya Pradesh to 440, a health official said.
– Sixteen new cases of the novel coronavirus disease have been reported in Maharashtra today, taking the total number of positive cases in the state to 1,380.
– A total 720 people have tested positive for Covid-19 in Delhi till now, of which 22 of them are in ICU and seven on ventilator, said Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain.