Coronavirus Pandemic LIVE Updates: The death toll due to Covid-19 in the country rose to 1,783 while the number of cases climbed to 52,952 today, registering an increase of 89 deaths and 3,561 cases in the last 24 hours, the Union Health Ministry said.
The number of active Covid-19 cases stood at 35,902 while 15,266 people have recovered and one patient has migrated, it said. “Thus, around 28.83 per cent patients have recovered so far,” a senior health ministry official said.
The total number of cases also include 111 foreign nationals. A total of 89 deaths deaths have been reported since Wednesday morning, of which 34 people died in Maharashtra, 28 in Gujarat, nine in Madhya Pradesh, four each in Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal, three in Rajasthan, two each from Punjab and Tamil Nadu and one each from Delhi, Haryana and Odisha.
Of the 1,783 fatalities, Maharashtra tops the tally with 651 fatalities, Gujarat comes second with 396 deaths, followed by Madhya Pradesh at 185, West Bengal at 144, Rajasthan at 92, Delhi at 65, Uttar Pradesh at 60 and Andhra Pradesh at 36.
The death toll due to COVID-19 climbed to 35 in Tamil Nadu while Telangana and Karnataka have reported 29 fatalities each due to the disease. Punjab has registered 27 Covid-19 deaths, Jammu and Kashmir eight and Haryana seven.Kerala and Bihar have reported four deaths each.
Earlier today, Prime Minister Narendra Modi hailed people leading the fight against coronavirus and said India is standing firmly with those facing difficult times during the pandemic, both in the country and abroad. He also said India’s development will always aid global growth.
Speaking at a global virtual Buddha Purnima event, Modi said, “People world over working selflessly for others in these difficult times are worthy of praise.” “India is standing strong and selflessly in these difficult times with those facing trouble in India or abroad. India’s growth will always be aiding global growth,” he said.
The novel coronavirus has infected over 37 lakh people globally and led to the deaths of more than 2 lakh.
Amid a war of words over the origin of the virus, US Secretary Mike Pompeo today said the Trump administration knows enough to be confident that the deadly coronavirus emerged from a laboratory in China’s Wuhan.
“I cannot say much about the intelligence we have collected with respect to this. But we know enough now to be confident of this,” he said in an interview to Fox News.
Pompeo said he has seen evidence that this likely came from the Wuhan Institute of Virology. “Happy to see other evidence that disproves that. We should get to the bottom of it. That is why we have been asking for months now to give Westerners access to this information,” he added.